Saturday, May 17, 2014

Guerilla Filmmaking

Monsters was my least favorite of the movies we've watched in-class so far. I don't think it had anything to do with the genre or the way it was made, it's just a personal matter of not liking sci-fi movies all that much.

That being said, maybe I was reading too far into it, but thanks to my Ecology class this year, I see climate change in everything, and I think a lot of this movie felt like a social commentary on climate change and the way different countries are being forced to deal with it. Poorer Latin American countries often have to deal with the consequences of something that America brought upon them, hence the "monster" and the "infected zones."This theory started once I learned that whatever this infection was started in the trees and then the roots of those trees would infect the other trees.

Anyway, I respected the movie more because it was a Guerilla Film. It seemed pretty well put together for something that they had to sneak around filming. The visual FX were very impressive, and I respected the film even more when I learned that they had been done by the director. Overall though, I didn't enjoy it. I didn't empathize with the characters or buy into their relationship at all, which was interesting after learning that they are married in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment